Steps to Consider
Developing a plan from this framework provides the information needed to help potential volunteers engage and understand the value of a volunteering experience. Look over the 4 stages of Engagement and ask yourself:
- How does your organization address each of these stages?
- Where have you identified gaps?
- Where does your organization excel? How can you continue to strengthen this stage?
- How do we recruit volunteers? How do they find out about us?
- Once they express interest, how are we inviting them to volunteer?
- What types of formal and informal gestures do we have for a volunteer to express their commitment?
- How are we inducting new volunteers into our community?
It is important for us to think about who we are explaining and presenting AFS to Prospective Volunteers. A great example is the video below:
Stages of Engagement
Awareness and Consideration
Generating interest in the mission of our organization while inviting people to take action.
Invitation and Recruitment
Setting expectations to define if the organzation and the volunteer are a good fit.
Once a potential volunteer makes the decision to volunteer with the organization, it is time to formalize the commitment.
We want people to interact with their local chapter in a social and informal environment and feel part of a community.